I’m just going to start by being honest. Running a small business is hard. The Treasured offers gifts, homeware, stationery, accessories and more from British designers/makers. It is full of loveliness (and people tell me so) yet they regularly turn to bigger websites and high street shops when looking for a little something special. That’s why the Just a Card campaign rings so true for me.
Sarah Hamilton, who launched the Just a Card campaign, did so after reading a quote by shopkeepers who had recently closed their gallery. “If everyone who’d complimented our beautiful gallery had bought just a card we’d still be open.” This isn’t just true for high street shops; this is true to online shops too. The Treasured don’t have many overheads, so it really does just take a few small sales to keep us going.
As a direct response to the Just a Card campaign, many people have said they feel embarrassed to make a small purchase as they thought it made them look stingy. This is such a shame, particularly as shops like mine choose products specifically to make sure that the work of independent British designers is accessible to everyone.
The Treasured wasn’t setup as a money making scheme, it was setup out of a love for small designers and a passion to share those with the world. Each and every sale I make, whether it’s for £2.50 or £25, means so much to me and gives me the confidence to keep on going. Running a small business alongside a full time job has its challenges and those ‘little’ sales give me a huge boost. Without those little sales we may not be around for 2017 and the same goes for lots of other small businesses both online and offline. The next time you need a card, a small gift or a treat for yourself, have a think before you walk into a chain store. Don't feel guilty if you still want something from Paperchase or Clintons, the fact you've thought about going somewhere independent is a great start.
To give you a feel for small business, and to raise awareness of the Just a Card campaign, we’re giving you the chance to win some of Red Fox Design’s purse friendly products! Enter below and you could win a ‘Happy Birthday My Deer’ card and ‘Hello’ Blue Deer print. If you can’t wait to see if you win, shop here and use code REDFOX for free UK delivery until Sunday 17 July.
Terms and Conditions:
- The promoter is The Treasured.
- Entries must be through genuine personal social media accounts. Entries via accounts setup solely to enter competitions will not be accepted.
- The competition will start at 12am on 3 June 2016 and will end at 20 July 2016, at which point a winner will be chosen at random from all genuine entries.
- The prize includes postage within the UK only. Entrants from other countries are welcome to enter but must cover the costs for postage and any other associated costs.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The Treasured reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered and the prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another equivalent value without giving notice.